2009-07-07

Ox Tongue in Creamy Mushroom Sauce

During the summers of my younger years, I would spend it in the province with my mom's sister. She loves to cook and bake. She would prepare kilawin, hardinera, baked chicken, humba, and many delicious main dishes. For dessert, I remember the logs of brazo de mercedes and custard rolls. One of the dishes we would request her prepare is Lengua or ox tongue. I would help her prepare the tongue, which I am grateful. I ask my mom and she said she didn't know how to cook the dish. So here is my version which my brother raved :D.

Ingredients:
1 (850 - 950 grams) ox tongue
2 tsps. salt
1 head of garlic, 1/2 of the head is crushed and the other half is minced
2 tbsp. olive oil or butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (284 ml) can cream of mushroom soup
1 - 1 1/2 cup beef stock
2- 3 potatoes sliced into 1/4" thick rounds
1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup all-purpose cream
salt and pepper to taste

Wash the tongue well. Place enough water to cover meat in a pot and 2 tsps. salt. Boil the tongue for about 40 minutes. Let it cool then remove the tough skin. Boil the tongue in a fresh batch of water with 1/2 head of garlic, crushed. Continue to boil until it is fork tender. Slice the meat to 1/3" thick. Set aside. Reserve the stock for later use.
Saute the remaining garlic in olive oil. Add the onions and saute until tender and caramelized. Pour in the cream of mushroom and beef stock. Add the potatoes. Let the sauce simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Add the sliced mushrooms and the all purpose cream. Simmer for about 3-5 minutes then add the meat. Season to taste. Simmer again until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency. If the sauce is too thick, add more beef stock. If the sauce is too thin, allow it to simmer until the excess liquid has evaporated.

No comments:

 

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin