2008-12-13

Hoisin Chicken Stir-Fry

It has really been a challenge for me to cook since I don't really have a place of my own right now. I am currently renting a room with privileges of using the kitchen and utilities. To make things simple, I try not to buy too much ingredients and think of quick and easy dishes to prepare. I do try to consider the family of my landlady when I cook too. They are a carnivorous lot who barely gets enough nutrients from vegetables and fruit. So, I try to sneak in a couple into my cooking. :D

So allow me to share with you this easy dish that I have put together with the available ingredients I have.

Ingredients:

1/4 kilo chicken fillet*, cut into strips
2 - 3 tbsp. Hoisin Sauce
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp. cooking oil (peanut oil, canola oil or corn oil)
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped white onions
1 16oz-bag of mixed vegetables*, thawed slightly
1 block of firm tofu, sliced into cubes and fried
2 tsps. toasted sesame seeds

Procedure:
Mix the chicken strips in the Hoisin sauce, soy sauce and 1/4 tsp of black pepper. Marinate for at least 2 hours.
In a hot wok, heat the oil and saute the garlic and onions until fragrant. Add the marinated chicken strips and reserve the marinade. Stir until the chicken is not any more pink in color. Add the marinade with 1/4 cup of water. Simmer for 2-3 minutes covered. Check if the chicken is tender and cooked through. Once done, throw in the vegetables. Stir and adjust the taste by either adding more hoisin, soy sauce or pepper. Once the vegetables are heated (not wilted). Turn off fire, stir in the fried tofu and top with the toasted sesame seed. Serve hot with steamed white rice.


Notes:
Breast fillets may be used. But if this is not available, thigh and leg fillets may be substituted.
The bag of mixed vegetables may depend on what is available in the fridge at the moment. Normally I have a bag of mixed stir-fry (carrots, brocolli, snap peas, cauliflower, zucchini) or mixed variety of broccolli, cauliflower, carrots with a few slices of bell pepper. If there are fresh vegetables at hand, these may be used. Just prepare and slice up the fresh vegetables into even sized pieces for even cooking.

2 comments:

ctdweller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ctdweller said...

Hi Tukayo,

I think I have tried a variation of this dish before minus some of your ingredients.

I know yours taste good and healthy as well :-)

Practicality, dictate what I usually cook and that is, as I have often mentioned before - cooking what is available.

Thanks for your msg at my ec msg box and I am so sorry for this very, very, very late reply.

Cheers!

 

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin