2009-08-21

Chunky Guacamole

During the month of July to the early weeks of August, avocados are abundant in the markets and side streets. When we were kids, we would prepare this nutrient-booster with condensed milk and blend until smooth the freezer. My mom and us kids would devour this cold dessert the soonest it hardens. This was the only way we would prepare this lutien-riched fruit. Lutein, an important antioxidant, that helps maintain a healthy eyesight and skin as we age.
When we were visiting my brother in the States, mom was surprised to see that there were customers who would buy avocados even if they were not in their freshest state. The skins were wrinkled and dried.
My cousin brought me to a Mexican restaurant and told me to try the guacamole that came with my ordered fajitas. I was sort of skeptic but after taking the first bite, I got hooked. Now, I have two ways of preparing avocados.




4-5 avocados, pitted and diced (make sure that these are not over ripe)
1 medium onion, chopped
5 tomatoes, seeded, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
a handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
Tabasco sauce (optional)

Place diced avocados in a bowl. Add lemon juice to avoid discoloration and preserve the color. Add the onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients well. Add Tabasco hot sauce to add a slight kick. Serve this with corn chips or fajitas.
For a more smoother texture, mince the onions and tomatoes and avocado. Mix well bended with the rest of the ingredients.

No comments:

 

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin